Monday, February 1, 2010

WiFi error follow up

Following up from the incident stated in Post 1 and Post 2, this is the latest news on this incident.

To summarize Post 1, after a storm, the wifi in my house does not work in my computer. And I found out that the wifi only works when the laptop is very close to the modem. I deemed that this problem arises when the storm somehow damaged my wifi card as my brother's laptop could work in his room.

At post 2, I called the Dell technician to change my wifi card to see whether it is the cause of it. After changing it, the problem still persists.

As for the latest news, I found out that the range of the wifi has been reduced by 3 meters after some trial and error procedures. At first, I took my laptop away from the modem, and see whether it plummets. As I enter my room, the internet connection plummets hard. then I do some minor adjustment, I found out that instead of using the laptop across my room, now I have to use it close to the door, and the door must be opened for internet access, LoL. If I shut the door, the internet plummets again.

Hope that I can get a wifi extender so that I could use my laptop is the usual big table.

2 comments:

Speedcat Hollydale said...

I have had wireless in my place for 4 months now, and LOVE it. I can even make it to the pool and have internet. Just 4 years ago I was learning to run an old Packard Bell with win 98 and crazy slow dial up service

Shiphire said...

WiFi rulez only if it could achieve the range you wanted, if not, it still bound you to places you don't like.

I really should consider a WiFi extender.